- 2 lbw large crabs from the fish market, claws cracked, shells removed and cleaned. Drain to dry.
- 4 tbsp freshly ground black pepper
- 3 to 4 fresh red chilli, seeded and finely chopped
- 4 tbsp butter
- 10 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 10 slices young ginger
- 1 to 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 tsp dark soya sauce
- 2 tsp sugar (optional)
- coriander leaves to garnish
- oil for deep frying
- Fry the black pepper in a wok or frying pan (without oil) till fragrant. Remove and keep aside.
- The crabs taste best if they are deep fried in very hot oil first – deep fry on all sides till the crabs turn red.
- Drain and keep the oil aside.
- Heat a wok, add the butter and when it melts and is hot, add the garlic, ginger and chilli and stir fry for three minutes till the mixture is fragrant.
- Add the oyster sauce, soya sauce and sugar and stir well before adding the pepper.
- Stir fry a few seconds on high heat, add the crabs and stir fry one minute. Serve with the garnish.