Over bank holiday weekend, at a large family meal my auntie delivered the goods with this little number; warm chickpea salad. Ticked all the right boxes.
- 1 red onion , cut into wedges
- 2 courgettes , thickly sliced
- 1 red onion , seeded and cut into large chunks
- 375g ripe tomatoes , halved
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- juice of half lemon
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh mixed herbs (such as chives, parsley and mint) or 3 tbsp parsley
- 2 x 400g cans chickpeas , drained
- 100g feta cheese , cut into cubes
- Preheat the oven to fan 200C/ conventional 220C/gas 7. Put the onion, courgettes, pepper and tomatoes in a shallow roasting tin and season with black pepper. Drizzle with 2 tbsp of the olive oil and toss well. Roast for 30 minutes, stirring halfway through, until the vegetables are cooked and beginning to turn brown.
- Meanwhile, mix the lemon juice and remaining olive oil to make a dressing. Season with salt and pepper and stir in the herbs.
- When the vegetables are cooked, allow them to cool for 5 minutes, then tip into a bowl with the chickpeas, feta and dressing. Toss lightly before serving. Leftovers are delicious cold and served with pitta bread.